MorphOS.pl – Polska strona użytkowników MorphOS-a
MorphOS.pl – Polska strona użytkowników MorphOS-a

Strona główna Forums Sprzęt Powermac G5 port

Widok 15 wpisów - 1 z 15 (of 19 wszystkich)
  • Autor
    Wpisy
    Participant

Hi there, everyone.

Sorry to interrupt you in English, but my Polish is somewhat rusty and people have been asking me how it is going with the G5.

I got the first G5 machine set up on the 3rd of December and I have been busy with the MorphOS port since then. Basically the work so far has consisted of two major parts: Reorganising the Quark source code so that support for a second CPU architecture could be added and writing and testing all the code required to support the PPC64 architecture, and in particular the Powermac G5s.

The G5 is incompatible to regular PowerPC CPUs in a number of, for MorphOS, important aspects, both when it comes to the supervisor mode and the user mode. Unfortunately some of the supervisor mode incompatibilities have been done in such a way that executing code written for PPC32 on the G5 will run without errors, but subtle differences in the operation of some instructions caused problems with system stability which were hard to track down. The good news is that I believe that all of these problems have now been tracked down and the system is running stable. When it comes to user mode differences, the G5 is lacking CPU instructions which are widely used throughout MorphOS’ 68k emulators. Luckily Piru did some changes there and the emulators should work fine on the G5 now, although I haven’t really tested it.

So the status now is that the G5 boots to MorphOS and seems to run stable, however only USB and the on-board IDE interfaces are support by MorphOS drivers right now. The next things I will focus on is getting the on-board NIC and fan control working. Hopefully neither of those two will be particularly difficult, so that will likely be done some time this week.

That’s it for now 🙂 Have a merry Christmas everyone.

waldiamigawaldiamiga
    Participant
    Have a merry Christmas everyone.

No proszę, coś się dzieje.

Merry Christmas BigFoot.

Participant

well done mr Wielkastopa 😀 merry x-mas to you too, enjoy the Summer 😀

Participant

taki dodatek jakby ktoś nie wierzył 🙂

http://bigfoot.morphos-team.net/test/another-g5-monitorshot.jpeg

Participant

Time for a status update!

As expected from my previous post, I now have both networking and fan control working on my G5. The fan control currently only supports air-cooled machines. Support for liquid-cooled machines will come when I receive such a machine.

So now there are 3 big tasks remaining:
    1) Support for the internal SATA controller. This is without a doubt the biggest task of them all.
    2) Support for the internal sound ouput.
    3) Support for fan control on liquid-cooled machines.

Number 3 depends on when I will receive the liquid-cooled machine to do the programming/testing on. Number 2 should be done next week. Number 1 I don’t yet dare to put even an estimated time frame on.

There is also a big bunch of minor tasks still on my to-do list, most of which have to do with fixing up many of the smaller, less visible things and then the initial booting and installation process. My ‘minor to-do’ list has about 20 entries left in it yet, with more being added as I remember about them.

Have a fantastic New Year, everyone 🙂

Participant

Hi guys,

It’s been a while since I’ve last given you an update. Unfortunately the motherboard of my main/development machine died last week, but although it’s nearly impossible to find AMD hardware in South Africa, I’ve managed to get a replacement motherboard now.

On the bright side I can happily say that SATA is done, fan control support for liquid cooled machines is done and AGP support for the U3 northbridge found in the G5 machines is done.

There has also been a lot of behind-the-scenes maintenance and support work. For example the way MorphOS handles the early booting stage had to be completely redone for booting on the G5 to become reliable. This work has also resulted in smaller boot images, and by extension of that, ever so slightly lower boot times. This work will probably debut for G5 machines at first, and then be ported/enabled for other machines in a following MorphOS release. As a reference, the current 32 bit Mac boot image is 2677kB big while the current 64 bit Mac boot image is 1416kB big, slightly more than half the size.

Another small, yet important, change that has happened since the last update is that the MorphOS installer now supports installing on G5 machines.

What’s now remaining to do for the G5 is to add sound support. When that’s done, I still have my ever-growing todo list with smaller things I need to check, fix or improve. Finally we need to wait for everyone’s MorphOS 3.2 contributions to be complete, then for MorphOS 3.2 to pass betatesting and then MorphOS 3.2 will be in the hands of everyone who is willing to try it. Unfortunately I can’t say when MorphOS 3.2 will be out, but I can promise that I will do what I can to make sure it happens as soon as possible.

pamperspampers
    Participant

Tym razem ja zamiast BigFoota 🙂

Z powodów prywatnych marzec był dość martwym miesiącem w rozwoju portu G5. Na szczęście od przyszłego tygodnia BigFoot wraca do pracy nad portem (a zostało na prawdę niewiele do zrobienia) a potem zostaje nam tylko trzymać kciuki w intencjach jak najszybszego wydania wersji MorphOSa 3.2 😉

Participant
    Tym razem ja zamiast BigFoota 🙂
    (a zostało na prawdę niewiele do zrobienia)

Małe pytanko Pampers,,, czy wraz z portem na G5 ukaże się wsparcie do :
    ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
    ATI Radeon 9800 ?????????

Mam obie w zapasie i się zastanawiam czy nie przeflaszować…

pamperspampers
    Participant
    Małe pytanko Pampers,,, czy wraz z portem na G5 ukaże się wsparcie do :
    ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
    ATI Radeon 9800 ?????????

Mam obie w zapasie i się zastanawiam czy nie przeflaszować…

Gwoli ścisłości wsparcie dla kart z chipsetem R300 już od dawna jest, tyle że dla 2D 😛 Wszystko wskazuje na to, że w MorphOS 3.2 będzie obsługiwane 3D w tych kartach. Nie wiem jak to będzie wyglądało dla flashowanych kart, wiem że niektóre działają bez zarzutu a niektóre mogą sprawiać kłopoty. Generalnie nie bawię się we flashowanie i wolę wydać parę groszy więcej na właściwą wersję makową więc kłopot mam z głowy 🙂

Participant
    wolę wydać parę groszy więcej na właściwą wersję makową więc kłopot mam z głowy 🙂

Postanowiłem zainteresować się oryginalną kartą, wg. Twojej rady. Tylko teraz pytanie, czy karta z G5 będzie działać w modelu G4 ?? Myślę o 9600 XT, 9700 lub 9800, szybszej nie potrzeba do 1000 MHz oraz do gier z których korzystam. Wiem oczywiście o wycięciu w porcie AGP, żeby szło fizycznie ją w ogóle włożyć….

kjbkjb
    Participant

Nie rozumiem o jakie wycięcia chodzi, przecież AGP jest takie samo co nie?

Participant
    Nie rozumiem o jakie wycięcia chodzi, przecież AGP jest takie samo co nie?

Niestety AGP nie są jednakowe. Do mojego PM G4 ta karta wejdzie :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Apple-G5-MAC-ATI-Radeon-9800-Pro-128MB-108-A07500-00-AGP-Graphics-Card-GPU112-/330909816237?pt=PCC_Video_TV_Cards&hash=item4d0bc315ad

Ale niestety ta już nie podejdzie :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ATI-RADEON-9600-128MB-AGP-Video-Card-for-G5-Mac-DVI-DVI-/281091688394?pt=PCC_Video_TV_Cards&hash=item41725ec7ca

Chodzi o "przegródkę" w porcie AGP, karty AGP x2 miały ją w porcie. Porównaj a załapiesz o co chodzi…

kjbkjb
    Participant
    Niestety AGP nie są jednakowe.

Dzięki, teraz już wiem 🙂

http://images.kbench.com:8080/korean/mouse_potato/hot_info/1999_02/unversal_agp/agp_1.jpg

Participant

Dzięki, teraz już wiem 🙂

http://images.kbench.com:8080/korean/mouse_potato/hot_info/1999_02/unversal_agp/agp_1.jpg—-Zgadza się gdyby nie to, nowe karty 1,5v spaliłyby się w porcie 3,3v. Później dano automatyczne rozpoznawanie napięcia i po bólu….

gilbangilban
    Participant

Tak. Niestety. Do Power Maców G5 karty graficzne AGP są inne a do G4 są inne. Inne są gniazda i nic z tym nie zrobisz. Także do tych z G4 były karty Ati Radeon oryginalne max 9000 Pro z max 128 MB ram. Oraz jeszcze ATI Radeon 9700 Pro z 128 MB ram.

Szkoda, że do Mosa nie zostały napisane sterowniki do kart graficznych Nvidii. Tu bowiem znalazłem piękną kartę GForce4 Ti4600. Istna rakieta jak na tamte czasy:

http://www.encoremacparts.com/661-2595-nvidia-geforce4-titanium-ti4600-128-dvi-adc-power-mac-g4/

I jest to karta do Power Maca z procesorem G4.

A tu znalazłem link do Ati 9700 Pro oryginalnej. Tylko cena trochę szokuje:

http://www.macrecycling.com/Video-Graphics-Card-R300-ATI-Radeon-9700-Pro-Power-Mac-G4-1GHz-1.42GHz-661-2798.html

Widok 15 wpisów - 1 z 15 (of 19 wszystkich)
  • Musisz być zalogowany aby odpowiedzieć na ten temat.